Adventures in marathon training

Or maybe that should be misadventures. 🙂 Saturday was an 18 miler. I did get 18 miles in, just not all Saturday. And my knees are yelling at me today.

I have discovered something over the past few weeks that really sunk in this weekend. I cannot do a long run with my husband. And that is why I did a little over 6 miles (about a 10k) Saturday morning, 5.4 miles Saturday evening, and 7.3 miles Sunday morning. 3 runs to get that 18 miles. Those first 2 runs were fantastic. I felt awesome. The Sunday morning run, not so much.

We had the oldest daughter of a couple of friends with us Saturday morning. I knew she wasn’t running 18 miles. I didn’t expect her to be able to and was not going to try to get her to run that much. She did a good 3. She needed to go to the bathroom and everything was closed at CCCC so the hubby took her to someplace with a bathroom and got them something to eat while I kept running. About mile 6 I decided I wasn’t going to make them sit and wait for another 2 or 3 hours on me to finish.

So I went and did 5 more that evening, or rather 5.4 because even though I was telling myself through the last 2 miles that I only had to make it back to my road, I went ahead and ran that last .4 miles because I was trying to beat the storms. Which is were I will back up and say that I looked at the radar and saw a line of storms around High Point and figured it would take them about an hour to get to us. I also thought I could finish 5 miles in about an hour. It was a little over an hour, and when I got back home and checked the radar again, that line had mostly dissipated.

The 7? Oh, man. I knew it was about 7 miles from my driveway to the other end of Lydia Perry Road and back. I ran Lydia Perry before. It sucked because it’s uphill the whole way back, but doable. Uh, nope. Not when I’ve run about 11.5 the day before. I was tired when I started, and even that whole downhill run was rough. And then the sun was beating on me for much of the way back, and I just had to suck it up and do the walk of shame. Although, there was a sprint in the middle of that walk thanks to a horsefly that decided it needed to bite my calves. I couldn’t outrun it so I decided to kill it. I failed, but I did manage to catch it twice and after the second time it eluded my foot when I threw it down on the pavement, it left me alone.

So, I now need to make myself do the weekday runs this week, and do 14 this weekend. In less than 5 weeks, this will all be over. No more long runs. Until the Tar Heel 10 Miler.

8 Responses to 'Adventures in marathon training'

  1. Petra says:

    Right about now is when I am pretty darn happy that I decided to stop running. Or rather, Vega decided that I would stop running. Either way, I’m just thrilled when I walk 2 miles. lol

    • DragonLady says:

      Why? Do you think you would get sucked into the long distances like I did? Remember when I couldn’t run past the bottom of the hill by Roses? LOL

  2. Petra says:

    Ha! I actually enjoy running, and I will again. And I was headed down the raving lunatic racing path that you are on, but Vega saved me. Since then, I’ve come to realize that my body just isn’t capable of that sort of thing. I might be able to get up to doing it, but I would regret it and would totally pay for it physically. If I can get back to running a mile or two, I’ll be happy! 🙂

    • DragonLady says:

      I usually only enjoy running when it’s over. 😉 But sometimes, like Saturday evening, it actually feels good while I am running. Like I’m Forrest Gump. lol

  3. Petra says:

    Maybe you should run across the country next.

  4. Jennifer says:

    Hi there! I’m visiting from Opal’s site! Neat place you have here! I applaud those who can run/marathon! WOWZA! Awesome! Great job!